Bulletin News |  Racing |  Trackwork |  Gallery |  Home  
 
The Club
About Us
History of the Club
Images from the past
From the Pages of History
Managing Committee
Facilities
Achievements
Veterinary care
Highlights of the last decade
Looking to the future
Contact
About Mysore Race Club     
 
The Mysore Race Club is the most picturesque in the country. Set up in the foothills of the imposing Chamundi Hills, the Mysore Race Club has a distinct identity of its own. The languid atmosphere is perhaps the reflection of the city which has grown tremendously in the last decade without losing its old world charm.

Racing in Mysore is now a year round activity. Not long ago racing was confined to the monsoon months of August, September and October but with a base of over 400 horses, Mysore is slowly marching towards establishing itself as an independent turf authority in the country. With the Bangalore Turf Club running into turbulence and the fate of racing at the premier centre hanging in balance beyond September 22, 2010, Mysore is expected to take the lead.

Mysore Race Club is more than a century old. The Mysore Race Club celebrated its centenary year as far back as 1991. Racing started in Mysore under the patronage of the rulers of Mysore as far back as 1891. The Royal Family of Mysore could not have chosen a better venue than the foothills of Chamundi Hills for setting up a wonderful racecourse after moving it from Kebbe Katte. It was during the rule of H H Sri Chamaraja Wadiyar of Mysore State that the sport of horse racing began in the then capital city of Mysore near the present Jayachamarajendra College of Engineering which was known as Kebbe Katte Bungalow.

Racing continued at Kebbe Katte Bungalow till 1920. The existing race course was built at around this time by H H Sri Nalvadi Krishnaraja Wadiyar who was a great sportsperson and also lover of race horses and owned many race horses himself along with his brother H H Sri Kanteerava Narasimharaja Wadiyar. The race course, occupying 152 acres of land, has a Grand Stand which has since been renovated a few years ago, a magnificent paddock complex. The race track is oval shaped race track.

In the initial years, racing was restricted to six race days and held under the aegis of Royal Calcutta Turf Club. All clubs in India were affiliated to Royal Calcutta Turf Club which in turn was affiliated to Jockey Club of England. The main attraction of the six day racing was the running of the Maharaja's Cup.

In 1968 Mysore Race Club Limited was formed and has since been running the races under BTC rules of racing. The turf club has expanded the scale of its activities in the year 2000 when mini seasons on either side of the main season were added. The turf club is currently in the process of building about 800 top quality stables. Already about half of them are in operation and the spacious and properly ventilated stables, are being hailed as the best of its kind in the country.
Copyright © 2010 Mysore Race Club Limited ©, Mysore.  All Rights Reserved. Developed and maintained by www.racingpulse.in